Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Believe it or not, they're out there!

Last night, I asked my friend what he liked about his girlfriend so much. I wanted to know what the dynamic of his relationship with his girlfriend was considering:

-...he has a very busy, on-the-go lifestyle while his girlfriend is on the complete other end of the country getting a masters in some pretty intensive stuff-- too intense for me to even name, obviously!

-...he's a very intelligent, sound-minded, God-loving, easy-going, and hard-working 20 something guy who can carry his presence in both one-on-one and large crowd settings.

-... he and his girlfriend have been together for 1 year, something months, and something days (Which he knew to the exact date, but I didn't really care enough to meticulously take note. Still I was impressed that he knew... so rare in men)

My main reason for asking him was that I've been realizing how very much alike his relationship with his girlfriend and the kind of relationship I realize would be good for me is. Why? Because from my observations, his girlfriend seems to be very much on the exterior, in terms of accomplishments and lifestyle choices, similar to me. Anyways, his answer to my question of "What do you like so much about your girlfriend" pleasantly surprised me:

"Hmmm, she's pretty, well-mannered, practical/logical, passionate about what she wants to do, smart, hard-working, considerate..... sassy! yeah.... i want an equal in life... someone who doesn't drag u along, but also someone who doesn't act all... limp-ish"


So there it was... in the plain and unadulterated words of an intelligent and hardworking asian male... the very words that I have many times used to describe myself. The only difference was, that it was coming from the other end! I felt hopeful as I realized that it truly was and is possible for a member of the male species to want and seek out strong, highly intelligent, capable and SASSY women-- women like me!

Disclaimer: When I write "hopeful" I don't mean that I'm hopeful that this guy will eventually leave his girlfriend for me. Not in the least. However, I felt this disclaimer necessary given the plethora of pig-headed, archaic individuals I've been meeting these days. So here it is is plain words for all you crazy, gossip-monger haters who have no faith in the goodness of people and their ability to admire from afar something that is unabashedly beautiful.

1 comment: