Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mammoth Friends' Trip 2012

This past weekend Dave and I hosted a trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA to enjoy the slopes of Mammoth Resorts for some skiing and snowboarding with friends. I love this trip for so many reasons but for mostly two main reasons: 1.  It's a now 4-year tradition that Dave and his friends, some of whom he's known since elementary school, have kept going.  It's a testament of their growing and sustained friendships, even despite all the changes in their lives as they get older.  It really shows me that good people truly do end up attracting good people and I feel so priveleged to be a part of this group of super smart nerds who are so very talented in all their own ways.  2.  It's a time where Dave and I get to enjoy a sport that got us acquainted in the first place.  It was in January, 2 years ago, that Dave and I both inadvertently invited ourselves to a snow trip that started us on this wonderful journey together as a couple.  Since then, he's taught me to be proficient in snowboarding and we have spent many hours on the slopes just enjoying each other's company while doing a sport!  This is huge for me because I'm not much of an athlete, but thanks to the patient teaching hours put in by Dave, I can now breeze down a mountain. Yes!  

The 14 of us had a lot of fun enjoying each others' company over some good bourbon, craft beers, and silly videos and games.  Here are some pictures of moments that are just too hard to describe in words and done best captured in photos:

Minky, Adam, and Erika having a whole lot of fun as they make sandwiches to carry with them onto the slopes.  



Minky/Adam. Dave/Susan.  We already consider each other family... and I can't wait till it's official.  I love these people.



My bestie Eriks... This girl toughed it out and learned to board this season.  So proud of you girl!  You were such a trooper despite so many gnarly falls!



Dave being a gentleman and carrying both our boards back after our first day .  He 's such a happy guy, I love it.




The lot of us hanging out at the bottom of Eagle Lodge enjoying some Mammoth Brewing Co. beers and catching up on the happenings of the day.


Relaxing at the cabin after a full day of skiing and snowboarding.  Bananagrams and beer/whiskey tastings in the background...


The brewmasters at work, William sampling a collaboration black IPA he and Mike (not pictured in this collage) made in honor of MLK on MLK day, Dave reading the Firestone Anniverary Ale scroll in honor of opening a bottle for the special occasion, and Jason moving the beer tasting activities along.  It's incredible the wealth of information that these gentlemen know about beers and brewing.  Thanks to them, my eyes have been open to the incredibly complex world of craft beers!  Cheers!



Here Dave works with THREE iPods to screen the trilogy of a man riding a buffalo discovered by William.  Clearly he was having a blast watching it, even upside down. 




I captured a great moment where Walter and William were laughing hyterically while watching the buffalo video.  Doesn't it just make you happy watching these guys laughing so unabashedly?   Below we have the two brewmasters responsible for the delicious MLK Black IPA-- Mike and William.  Thanks guys for painstakingly making the brew and sharing it with us.  I'm sure Dr. King would be proud!