Friday, June 10, 2011

Tunnel Vision


The more involved I get with work, the more I realize I'm becoming detached from the rest of my life. I eat, breathe, and sleep about the electrophysiology and device treatment algorithms.  If I were sit down with you and talk about work-related matters, you will find me articulate and as smart as whip.  Now if you talk to me about any of the other things that we used to talk about when I was a not-so-much-of-a-nerd Susan, you will find me a stuttering, blubbering idiot.  Yup!  I, Susan, a complete social retard.  I can see how people in my field become socially inept-- we don't spend enough time with the rest of the world, talking about normal everyday life matters!

I have concluded that this is all a result of the fact that lately I find myself with less and less time to hang out with friends outside of my immediate geography and daily work life.  As my working day gets more and more intense, I feel a lot more exhausted when I get home.  During the weekdays when I get home, I hurriedly try to finish up whatever logistical work I need to close out from my busy day in the clinics, hospitals, and coffee shop meetings, and I find myself completely exhausted and the idea of coordinating and meeting up with friends is nothing short of dreadful.   Is it bad that I would rather be a hermit at home, just watching my shows, cooking a new creation I've been brainstorming, or briefly chatting online with less than a handful of friends (which is the closest thing to a non work-related social interaction I indulge in these days)?

1 comment:

  1. we all go through our seasons and it's a process finding balance, chica. it's not bad at all and totally normal :) that's all i want when i got home, too - cooking, eating, simple/easy entertainment and sleep. and then we muster up our energy for fun. besides, i don't think going camping, hiking, eating out, etc all that you do is anything short of socializing. ;)

    ReplyDelete